Earnings Beat Forecast Using Event-Driven Score
Events such as M&A, new deals, new orders, partnerships, ESG, regulatory decisions, management and stakeholders’ changes, expansions to new markets or product categories, new products, price changes, new agreements, FDA decisions, financial reports related events, and more reflect the companies’ ongoing operation during a certain period.
To demonstrate the predictive power of events on earnings, we selected randomized 134 companies which beat the market expectation during the last earnings releases and we tested their event-driven score for the Jun-Sep 2018 period.
From 134 companies that beat the market expectation, 98 (73%) companies got an event-driven score above 0.5 which indicates a bullish trend (the event-driven score is scaled between 0-1, where below 0.5 points to a bearish event-driven score based on events during the filtered period, and above 0.5 points to bullish event-driven score). Among these companies that beat market expectations, we found events such as new products, new JV and M&A activities, increase in demand, new pricing models, entering new markets, and positive ESG events during the past quarter. A portion of these events have an impact on the same period and some will have an impact on the bottom line in the future.
|Delta Air Lines||DAL||0.76|
|Johnson & Johnson||JNJ||0.69|
|Cohen & Steers||CNS||0.20|
|Canadian Pacific Railway||CP||0.73|
|Bryn Mawr Bank||BMTC||0.80|
|Procter & Gamble||PG||0.54|
|Canadian National Railway||CNI||0.88|
|Public Service Enterprise||PEG||0.80|
|Genesee & Wyoming||GWR||0.80|
|Jones Lang LaSalle||JLL||0.75|
|Advance Auto Parts||AAP||0.65|
Our model predicts 73% of the companies that beat the market expectation in the earnings category, the remaining 27% can be explained by companies that had substantial events that position the companies’ event-driven score below 0.5 (a bearish territory), therefore, missing on the prediction. This is a type 2 error which spots companies that should not beat the market expectations, and in reality, beat the market expectations.
These events include ESG category, investor misleading, lawsuits, reduction in earnings guidance etc. Commonly for these events they all are involving processes and results which are unknown, therefore, they have an impact on the long-term rather than the short-term quarter results.
To conclude, each quarter has its unique events as well as dragged events from previous ones, however, data shows that events can predict which companies will outperform the market expectations and vice versa with relatively high accuracy.
Using big data and NLP technologies to capture alpha by collecting, structuring, and revealing events from news articles, press releases, and financial social media
Our data is presented via visually compelling, interactive dashboards on your PC and mobile device or as CSV file.
Using a hybrid model to provide a high accuracy of data classification, context, and sources to ensure maximum value for our clients. Generating events scoring based on novelty, the position of the event, (header or news body), the event scoring index, and the repetition of the event in the media.
In today’s rapidly changing environment it is essential to be able to track corporate events such as M&A, new deals, partnerships, ESG, regulatory decisions, management and stakeholder changes, expansions to new markets or product categories, new products, price changes, new agreements, FDA decisions, financial reports related events, macroeconomics, and much more…
Cover press releases, news stories, and financial social media on companies, currencies, commodities, central banks, cryptocurrencies, macroeconomics, and ETFs, 24/7.
Our data is presented on easy to use interactive dashboards on the web or on your phone. In addition, you can get alerts when data changes and drill into details. Alpha is at your fingertips
(Views and recommendations given in this section are for research purposes only. Please consult your financial adviser before taking any position in the stock/s or currencies mentioned.) Neither First to invest. nor any of its officers, employees, representatives, agents or independent contractors are, in such capacities, licensed financial advisors, registered investment advisers or registered broker-dealers. First to invest does not provide investment or financial advice or make investment recommendations. Nothing contained in this communication constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, promotion, endorsement or offer by First to invest of any particular security, transaction or investment. Our goal as publishers of financial information is to provide research and analysis of investments to our subscribers